Custom Cakes For All Occasions
Monkey And Me Sweets Logo

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Birthday cakes to a child are a big deal. We have had first hand experience as Eddie has challenged us year after year. His first few birthdays were easy as we were able to decide the design of his first two cakes. At his 3rd birthday kids start to develop their likes and dislikes. The search for finding someone to make the cake begins. We had taken it upon ourselves to create a cake he wanted.

Eddies third birthday Megan created a pirate ship using a kit you can find in any party store. It came out to his liking, but to Megan and myself we needed improvement. We did research on cake design and decorating. In many ways this contributed greatly to Monkey & Me Sweets. I assisted partially in the creation of Eddies fourth birthday cake. It was a Tundra landscape with cowboys and Indians. This was the first time we had used fondant.

By the time Eddies 5th birthday had come, We had started Monkey & Me Sweets. Megan was creating the bulk of our cakes out of our kitchen with a little help from myself. I had done my homework on creating car cakes and Megan and I created his fifth birthday cake together!


We began to get more business and the tides of the business began to shift. I began taking up more responsibility in creating cakes, and Megan began to take on the majority of the business end. This was a unexpected shift as we had thought in the beginning it would have gone the other way, with myself working the business end and Megan creating the cakes.

We had worked together on Eddies 6th birthday cake. I created the structure, carved, iced and covered the cake in fondant with Megan's assistance. At this point our business vision was beginning to shape itself. We began discussing who should take on the business full time. Up to this moment it was only a part time business, but beginning to wear us thin on sleep.

 For Eddie's 7th birthday I created a replica of his birthday present. We had become a full time business. We both decided I should take on the business full time, as the cake orders that were coming in were mostly sculpted. That seemed to be my niche. Megan still helps on busy weeks, but the responsibility of the product we delivered rested primarily on my shoulders. We also built a bakery into an 700sq/ft apartment off the side of our house.
 Eddie turned 8 this past September, Where did the time go? Not much has changed in the last year. I have taken on all of the work in the bakery, While Megan works with customers and ensures the future of Monkey & Me Sweets from her office. She still creates the sugar flowers, She makes them so well I cannot compete. We opened an online store to offer our products to people all over the world. Megan still works full time and conducts business after 5:00 on weekdays and over the weekends.


No comments:

Post a Comment